Pages

7.1.11

Saucisse Sèche: a love story.

Today we're going to talk about one of my favorite things in the universe. 
Saucisson sec at the Marché des Arceaux in Montpellier, France
I love dried sausage. I just love the flavor. It's heavily seasoned, often garlicky and always salty. (Fun fact; the world saucisse comes from salsus, which is Latin for "salty")

I suppose I ate dried sausage occasionally before, but I didn't truly grasp what a beautiful thing it is until I spent an extended amount of time in France. I truly think it is the perfect food. I mean, unless you're a vegetarian. But I am decidedly not and I probably never will be because of how much I love dried sausage. In fact, when I interview people about food, I always ask them what item would be on party table that would make them exclaim “Yay!" I got lots of answers; ice cream, cupcakes, good cheese, tacos... I was realizing today, that my own answer is probably a good charcuterie plate. Aaahhhh, and with a few gherkins and some  nice green olives?? Best. BEST.
  
In France, I was in heaven because there are so many flavors to choose from. I mean, look at the pictures! All those options. Walnut, hazelnut, black pepper, herbes de provence, chèvre. Chèvre!!!! That is goat cheese flavored dried sausage, people. I mean...we bought blueberry saucisson once. Sounds weird, and I guess it was, but it was so delicious. The ultimate sweet and savory. And who doesn’t love sweet and savory? 

A vendor at the Marché des Arceaux helps us pick something out

 Anyway, my reason for posting this is to inform everybody about mmmaybe the best, dreamiest sandwich in the entire world. It is as simple as it gets and yet irresistible. The dried sausage and butter sandwich. Thank you, France.

I discovered it by accident, and I still remember it clearly. I was leaving Paris, at the hectic Gare du Nord. I was broke and bought the cheapest sandwich I found. I believe it was called “sandwich campagnard”. (Countryman’s sandwich) It was 2 euros, and was a half a baguette, generously buttered and laden with slices of rosette, a fantastic type of saucisse from Lyon. And that was it. I was in love. Three magical food items all in one handy sandwich for the price of a bottled water. The quality of French butter and bread compliment the savory rosette so well; creamy, salty, chewy, crunchy all at once.

After  that fateful afternoon, I ordered many a rosette and beurre sandwich. It sort of became my transit meal, I guess as a nod to the day we met.   Some places serve them with cornichons (gerkins), such as Paul's lovely Sandwich Savoureux.  I made them too! Before a train ride or a flight, I easily could make my own version using whichever saucisse I had on hand. And let me tell you, I always had it on hand.

For an easy, at home version of this, Trader Joes sells delicious Columbus Salame products. Try a sausage butter sandwich! See for yourself....


1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. And your description is driving me wild with the urge to go buy some right now. But of course that would mean another stop to find French butter and probably a third shop to find good bread. It's so much easier in France, n'est pas?
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete