Pages

20.2.11

Quinoa and Salmon Salad

Here I am conducting a food interview on the kibbutz!
This recipe is inspired by the very first food interview I ever conducted. The interviewee was my delightful friend (and my kibbutz roommate!) Rebecca, who grew up in Sweden. She mentioned that she liked to make a salad of quinoa and gravlax. It sounded so good- light, fresh, simple.
So, recently, I've been trying to find lots more people to interview. I'm just on a roll with it, I guess. So I've been looking over the interviews I've already typed out, I saw Rebecca's mention of a quinoa and lax salad, and I knew that a spin on that was exactly what I wanted for dinner.... 
I knew I wanted to use rocket, because I'm obsessed with it. (Fun fact: eating it before bedtime gives you crazy dreams!) The fennel aspect happened because I, from far away in the supermarket, thought it was dill! I walked closer, saw it was fennel, and thought... "Fennel! Hmm....." And somehow the fennel lead to the lemon and honey. I don't know. It sounds weird. But I loved how different yet complimentary all the flavors were...and the textures! 
 By the way...if you are interested in being food- interviewed, please drop me a line. I don't care if I don't know you- we can do it through email!  
Onward...


  
Salmon and Quinoa Salad

Ingredients
1/2 cup sprouted quinoa
About 2 cups of rocket/arugula leaves
4 oz smoked salmon, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 bulb fennel, julienned
1/2 red onion, chopped finely
The juice from 1/2 a large lemon 
4 tbsp sunflower or other innocous oil (olive just seems a bit overpowering a flavor for this)
1 tsp honey
a good pinch of dried dill, or a larger amount of fresh, chopped. 

Preparation
Prepare the quinoa according to the package. This will take about 15 minutes to cook up, so in the meantime...
Whisk together your lemon juice, oil and honey. Season with salt, pepper and dill.
Toss all of your ingredients together when the quinoa is reading. Add the dressing last, since the greens wilt very easily.
Speaking of easy, how simple is this recipe? 
This makes a great dinner for two, or a side salad for more.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment