Pages

2.4.11

Food of the vagabonds...

As you may notice, I have changed the name of the blog.
"A vagabond or “drifter” is an itinerant person. The word is derived from the Latin adjective vagabundus, “inclined to wander”, from the verb vagor, “wander”. It does not denote a member of a nomadic people, but rather an individual who follows a wandering lifestyle within a sedentary society. Such people may be called drifters, tramps, or rogues. A vagabond is characterized by almost continuous traveling, lacking a fixed home, temporary abode, or permanent residence. Vagabonds are not bums, as bums are not known for travelling, preferring to stay in one location."
 Perhaps I am a drifter. Even as a little girl, I tended to float between social groups. I don't like staying in one place. I get antsy, restless.  I can't help it. It's inside of me, somehow. Even now, the most settled I've been in a long time, I am itching to move on, and have been fighting it like mad, because I really need to have a bit of money saved. And it's...exceedingly difficult for me. 
I like sleeping in tents, and on the couches of people I've just met. I love busking, and farm-hopping and hitching, and not knowing where I'm going until I realise where I want to go. I don't tend to like hotels, or even hostels, or organized trips. I enjoy being lost. Because I'll always find something. One must get lost in order to be found again...
I just...I  feel drawn to certain places at certain times, and I like to follow those instincts. Right now, I am actively suppressing those instincts. Like I said, it's hard for me. I keep feeling like ignoring myself will have some sort of consequence, which I know sounds "crazy".
I'm safe and healthy and happy here in Boston. But somehow, it's not enough. I need to be flying by the seat of my pants. Or, er, my leggings.
It's who I am, and I know it's not a lifestyle that is comfortable, or for everybody. I don't know why I am this way. But I am, and I'm happy to be who I am.
 Anyway, for the time being, I am here in Boston, and I will continue to dream of the places I want to be, and cooking is, besides reading, the best way to pretend you're somewhere else...
So for now and forever, I dub this blog "My Vagabond Kitchen."
In honor of the name change, I have my favorite backpack-y meal. I have eaten this in tents, in parks, in tiny, stoveless flats and dorms and...really everywhere. It involves no cooking, minimal prep, and condiments that come in sachets which you can swipe from a pub table. The ingredients will vary, depending on where you are what time of year it is. However, wherever you go, these vegetables tend to be available, and cheap. This has been made so many times and it's always important to use what you have on hand. When traveling, I always have a "food bag", of all the acquired bits and bobs from the past week or so. Fruit, crackers or bread, vegetables, garlic, chocolate, salt, pepper, and condiment sachets, napkins...Waste not, want not.
Be sure your cans have peelback lids! I can't imagine lugging around a can opener, besides, that would make your next flight a nightmare, as it would add unnecessary weight to your suitcase, and I doubt it's legal to carry on...
This is a wonderful meal to share with your travel buddy. No plates required. A couple of forks and spoons are always good to keep in your food bag, however. I have strong memories of Copenhagen, being so hungry and getting all the ingredients to make this salad, and not having any cutlery! We looked in ice cream shops, takeaway places...I don't even remember what we eventually did...I'm sure we managed. That's the thing. You always do.

 Corn and Tuna Salad
Ingredients
1 can of tuna, drained
1 small can of corn
1 cucumber, diced
1 tomato, in cubes
1/2 red onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 lemon
1 teaspoon (or sachet) of mayonnaise
Salt, pepper, and any spices you have...
Optional: Any other vegetables that you have (red cabbage or radicchio was always nice, nuts also add a wonderful element.)
 
Preparation
Mix the tuna and the mayonnaise. 
Combine all ingredients, squeeze over the lemon juice, and season well with salt and pepper. 
Eat. Savor. Feel sustained. Enjoy your day, or your night. 
Happy Trails...

No comments:

Post a Comment